Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Teachable Moment

Aside from being innately hilarious, I consider myself an educator. Yep, I do. Sure, I am a well-known member of the Grammar Police, but only in hopes to make people better. Why? Because people judge you; as the Facebook group's title reads, I judge you when you use poor grammar. And, especially when it comes to me reading job applications, cover letters, and résumés.

Aye, but that's for another day. Today's -- this week's -- tale does not stem from me judging people, per se. It comes from an overly-ambitious job applicant who, many have felt, stepped over the line. To assert his interest for an open position, he did a little research to discover the personal e-mail address of the hiring manager... me. Our story begins:

Mr. White,
I know this is somewhat out of the ordinary to send an email like this to your GMail account; during my job search I tried to use any potential resources to make sure my resume was seen about jobs I really cared about. In this case, the only email resource I could find was this email from your blog. I would really enjoy this position, so I decided that was worth taking a chance on sending an email to you.

It's nice to have a reader. Take 'em how you can get 'em, some would say.

I understand that any organization always needs motivated and hard working employees.  I believe that describes me perfectly, which is why I am writing to express my interest in a position with [company], specifically as [position].  I have recently finished my internship and graduated, and am looking for an organization to begin my career with. I have always enjoyed [industry of work], and gained a strong love of [line of work] while researching my senior thesis.  I will also be pursuing my MBA part-time at [university] beginning this fall.

And such. I should point out that from the above paragraph on, we've entered a verbatim copy-and-paste from the originally-submitted cover letter. After my first read, I wondered why it seemed familiar.

I'll share just the following bit of the letter, as it becomes relevant later in our tale:

I also earned a first-class education during my time at [university].  In 2008, it was ranked by U.S. News amp; [sic] World Report as one of the top ten most promising schools in America.  

And, no, I'm not just including that because of the fun fact; I am curious, though, how he knew I only read applications from alumni of the top ten most promising schools in America. No, no... that's not true. I did enjoy the inclusion of the statistic, but really, isn't that like winning the MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist -- a veritable kiss of death? Or, perhaps more aptly, receiving an award for "Most Improved" Anything? Don't you have to suck and improve a skosh to get such an honor?

Again, I promise that the above -- the quoted text, not my tangent -- will become relevant shortly.

So, anyway, this was all received on Tuesday. After processing my incredulousness and letting it simmer, I opted to attempt turning this into a teachable moment earlier tonight, and sent the following belated reply:

[Name],
After thinking about this for a few days, I thought it would be a nice gesture to provide some constructive feedback here: 
Firstly, in the future, I do not recommend following up in the way in which you have -- that is, writing a potential employer at their personal e-mail account. As it was, I had received your application, cover letter, and résumé from our Human Resources department earlier in the day on Tuesday; reaching out in this manner certainly didn't yield the positive response that was likely expected or intended. Especially of note is the fact that the position is in the environment of customer service: While some employers' reaction may be, "He's a real go-getter", I can't help but think, "If he'll go to these lengths to contact me, what could he do in relation to our customers and their privacy?" While I feel the necessity of this concern is probably low, the thought is triggered, all the same.
Additionally, rather than go through the lengths to which you went to obtain my personal e-mail account, time would have been better spent by contacting our HR department -- for which the phone number and e-mail address are listed on the application page -- and asking for the hiring manager's name and work e-mail address. (If you did attempt this, but did not receive said information, one would be best served to take that as a hint.) While your ultimate method of contact was somewhat unorthodox and not well-received, it would have been less off-putting had it been directed to a work address. Furthermore, naming conventions are not too horribly difficult to guess for business e-mail addresses, especially with having my middle initial at one's disposal. (Receive a bounce notification? Try, try again.)
Finally, in your message, you noticeably copied and pasted your cover letter from the receipt confirmation e-mail you received, as it reads, "U.S. News amp; World Report" (ampersands are converted to "amp;" by the text-only application page). By overlooking this, it does show a lack of attention to detail. When it occurs in the submitted applications, I overlook it, as there is no way for an applicant to know; in this instance, it stands out.
With all of that said, I wish you the best of luck in your job search, [name]. I do hope that this feedback is well taken, and is implemented in the future.

Sincerely,
Micah White

I do and do for these kids.

Within the half-hour, he replied:

Mr. White,
Thank you for the feedback.  I will take it to heart, and appreciate the help.  I apologize for this obvious mistake that I made;
I let the stress of a prolonged job search get to me and did something I would normally never do.
I'm sorry.
[Name]

Teachable moment -- complete.

I mean, "creeping" ("cyberstalking", in its true definition, seems a bit harsh) has its proper place and time. But, instead of the above application, I say, save the information gained for an interview setting, to name-drop some of my personal favorites: "That reminds me of something David Letterman said the other night!" Or, "You know, I was just at Chick-Fil-A/Jamba Juice/Five Guys! Boy, are those nuggets/Pomegranate Paradises/regular burgers with a bag full of fries tasty!" Get to know me, then tug at my heartstrings! All the same...

Was I right to react as I did? Or, was the lad simply "taking initiative", as has been suggested? (Or, both?) And, was my response justified and/or generous... or should I have left it as it was? I ask you, my dear readers.

-- Mr. White

11 comments:

  1. Quite creepy and in poor taste. His reply was short, sweet and apologetic though. If he was a true creeper I think he would defend his actions and press the issue, perhaps even text you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an intersting gaffe, and a little alarming. Not too long ago, I received a cover letter from an applicant with the "f-word" in it. It was mindnumbing! I'll have to blog about it at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan - Haha; that's pretty funny. The night IS young.

    WashingTina - F-word! Really?! Now, that's something. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for *that* story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the attention to detail you paid to the little ampersand gaffe. You are like the Sherlock Holmes of incredibly insignificant shit (I write racked with fear that my response might reveal a spelling/grammar error that will be used as fodder for your next blog post)

    I say give the kid a break. These are lean times after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not they actually teach you to do this sort of thing in school nowadays xD
    I think he was being ambitious (?)
    If his email would've been a bit more quirky (or just well written. I would settle for well written) it might've been worth paying attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest David - I'm SO using that quote when I get my book deal ("The Sherlock Holmes of incredibly insignificant shit"). It fits me to a tee. BUT, here, I stand by. As noted in my message to the lad, I let it go in its normal occurrence; when you e-mail my Gmail -- My GMAIL! -- that shit better smell like roses. It's nothing a simple, simple spot-check wouldn't catch. Hey, *I* caught it. And yes, yes, I'm superhuman, but still. Anyway, "lean times" are all the more reason to get your ass in gear.

    Christopher Robin - OK, now this I need clarification on, because it's not completely surprising, but is still intriguing: When you say, "they actually teach you to do this sort of thing in school nowadays", do you mean, they teach you to simply follow up? Or, they specifically teach you to find potential employers' personal e-mail addresses? The former I'm okay with; the latter, I wouldn't expect out of one of the top ten most promising schools in America. ;-) But seriously, I can't see this being well-received more than not.

    Two other related things:

    - Method of following up aside, the follow-up was about FIVE hours after I was forwarded the original application (which probably wasn't too long after it was actually sent). Shouldn't you let that stuff simmer for at least 24-48 hours? Just sayin'.

    - I just wanted to point out that I've purposely not mentioned nor implied whether this was a case of "I would've been interested, but not after this", or "I wasn't interested anyway". It's better to wonder on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creepy! I would have been less kind and more to the point of "fuck off". but I teach all day long I wouldn't want to teach from inbox.

    but thats just me.

    MKII

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mikey - Haha. I am a very understanding, compassionate soul.

    Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I did not catch all this information the first time through. His tactics definitely seem in poor taste.

    I was just saying at my school they have always recommended creeping on your desired employer enough to at least include a real name on your cover letter rather than a "To Whom It May Concern..."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christopher - Ahhh, I see. That's what I thought/hoped you meant. I have no problem with that level of creeping (hey, occasionally I creep back upon receiving apps... though that's a different topic/debate altogether, and I've moved away from it).

    That he DID use "To Whom It May Concern" the actual application, THEN creeped as discussed = epic, epic, epic, epic fail.

    Bless his heart.

    ReplyDelete