Monday, July 26, 2010

The ONLY Songs That Matter - 7.26.10

Well, this is as momentous of an occasion as we're going to have on this here blog. Behold the return of The ONLY Songs That Matter™, as previously seen on Facebook. I figure, hey, if we're going to be doing this blog thing, we might as well dust off this chestnut, with hopes that it may actually be permanently revived to a regular appearance basis.  For our newcomers, I started this list on January 8, 2007; my most recent edition was this past February 1, when we left off on song #1014 (Supertramp's "Breakfast in America").

Now, we may have some new viewers, so I'll run through the brief ground rules, here:
  • I don't take requests for this feature. Why? Because, I don't choose the songs; the songs choose me.™ (That is, to make the list, a song  -- old or new -- must generally pop up on my radar organically and make me go, "Huh... that really is a heckuva tune." For better or for worse.)
  • The list can be tongue-in-cheek; the feature's title can be a bit of a misnomer, you'll find.
Additionally, the only new rule this week is that all artists on the list must be undeterred by pigeon poop.

Now, generally, I'd rattle off all of the songs that were accumulated since the last update (16 total, in this case), but on this occasion, I'll take what may or may not be the best-of-the-best (10), and save the rest for next time, once you're already hooked again.

On we go...


1) "Everything Zen" - Bush

2) "Moving In Stereo" - Cars

3) "Mountain Man" - Crash Kings
- I enjoy the simplicity-yet-memorability of the chorus' circle-of-fifths-ish chord structure.

4) "Salvation" - Cranberries

5) "Two Weeks" - Grizzly Bear

6) "Porcelain" - Moby
- Met him once. He's short.

7) "Magnet and Steel" - Walter Egan

8) "Never Tear Us Apart" - INXS
- A fantastic song, basically.

9) "The High Road" - Broken Bells

10) "The Tracks of My Tears" - Miracles
- I saw Smokey Robinson sing this live on Tuesday, with a full orchestra. That's about all you need, there. Sounded just as good, if not better, than it did in 1965.


That's that -- week 186, and songs 1015-1024. Discuss.

Also, so everyone can catch up, I've posted the updated list of all 1024 songs here. Bon appetit!


4 comments:

  1. Everything Zen was blocking all other songs on my radar for about a week once I discovered my sixteen year old copy of Sixteen Stone CD was not too scratched to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow... that's some impressive longevity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. who are you and what have you done with Micah? The Micah I know barely acknowledges the existence of INXS, let alone including one of their songs on a Songs that Matter list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, c'mon now. Well, yeah. You're probably right. But that's a good'un!

    ReplyDelete